I know.
I am fully aware that I said last night, erm more like very early this morning that I'll be continuing with the other items from my list but I simply cannot fulfill this promise.
For I am now overcome with emotion over a wonderful piece of work that may as well be called my favourite film from now on: Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, in short, Amélie.
While watching, occasionally I had to pause the movie because I got so overwhelmed by the sheer beauty of it that I couldn't process it all so quickly.
Actually, 5 minutes into it and I already knew that something unique and amazing was going to befall before my eyes.And yes I was right.
When I think of it, it took me so long to see this work of art because I was hesitant when it came to it being french.
Needn't I have worried because it would have lost it's charm were it not in french. My only regrets are that besides not understanding it, I am picturing myself in French classes and I see half lidded eyes, huge yawns and my sketch covered textbook. So yes, I am to blame here.
Anyway, I consider that the essence of its brilliance lies in the little things. Simplicity.
Amelie Poulain portrayed by the wonderful Audrey Tautou gives you a brief glimpse into the mind of a naive, innocent but intelligent 24 year old woman.
Everything, from the delicate curve of her neck, the way her lips shape when she gets that mischievous smile to her big doe dark eyes draws you in and charms you completely.
Actually when you first take her in you have the impression that she just pulled a joke on someone and she's waiting for the other shoe to drop.
I could just write and write about how bright and full of life this movie is and still not overemphasis its genius.
All in all this movie makes me want to see everything in a different light and smile because I know that underneath all those obvious things are little details that brighten up everything.
All in all this movie makes me want to see everything in a different light and smile because I know that underneath all those obvious things are little details that brighten up everything.
Obviously the title is a quote from the movie.
Jo
